United States Golf Association
Collaborates with Golf Genius Software
The United States Golf Association (USGA) and Golf Genius Software (GGS) have entered into a collaboration agreement whereby GGS will provide golf tournament management software to GHIN State and Regionals Golf Associations (SRGAs) and their member clubs. Beginning in early 2017, two distinct Tournament Management software products will be offered to GHIN customers as a replacement for the current Tournament Pairing Program (TPP®):
- USGA Tournament Management Club, Powered by Golf Genius Software, will provide a feature set equivalent to TPP® plus additional capabilities including robust support for golf leagues
- USGA Tournament Management Club Premium, Powered by Golf Genius Software, will offer an upgraded set of tournament management features and will be functionally equivalent to the Golf Genius product.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did the USGA enter into an agreement with Golf Genius Software?
The USGA's GHIN service has been an important technology tool for SRGAs, clubs, and golfers since it was developed in 1981. One of the core products included with GHIN is the Tournament Pairing Program (commonly called TPP®). In recent months the USGA began to reimagine GHIN and explore opportunities to enhance its impact for the future. During this process the USGA decided to outsource the tournament management component to a software firm dedicated to the tournament management software market. The USGA selected Golf Genius Software because of the proven quality of the product, its acceptance among numerous clubs, the scalability of the Golf Genius cloud solution, and the Golf Genius commitment to providing outstanding service to the USGA and its GHIN customers.
What are the products that will be offered through this collaboration?
The USGA will offer two new products to its GHIN customers through this collaboration. Both products are derivatives of the Golf Genius product that is already in use around the world.
- USGA Tournament Management Club, Powered by Golf Genius Software, will be functionally equivalent to TPP and offered exclusively by the USGA and SRGAs to their GHIN club customers through their GHIN service agreements. The price for this product will be included in the overall GHIN pricing structure.
- USGA Tournament Management Club Premium, Powered by Golf Genius Software, will be functionally equivalent to the Golf Genius product, will be available to all GHIN SRGAs for the conduct of association events, and will be an optional upgrade available to GHIN clubs for an additional annual upgrade fee. Clubs who elect to purchase the upgrade will enter into subscription agreements directly with Golf Genius and will benefit from reduced price for the PREMIUM product.
What are the differences between USGA Tournament Management Club and USGA Tournament Management Club Premium?
USGA Tournament Management Club provides all the tools needed by the golf shop at a private club or public facility to set up and run member events, leagues and outings. It substantially reduces the workload in the golf shop and provides best-in-class printed materials including fully customizable scorecards, cart signs, bag tags, locker labels, tee sheets, alpha lists, etc.
USGA Tournament Management Club Premium delivers all the benefits outlined above plus capabilities to improve the golfer experience via the GGS mobile app, live scoring, live TV leaderboards, online registration and payments, and a customizable website for each event, league or outing.
For details, please Click Here.
When will USGA Tournament Management products be available to GHIN customers?
The products offered through this collaboration will be available to GHIN customers in early 2017 as part of their GHIN service agreements. The USGA will work with its GHIN customers over the next several months to define a detailed rollout schedule and training process. More specifically:
- In early August the GHIN team will work with GGS in a Pilot Phase in which a small set of SRGAs and their member Clubs will be trained, utilize the products, and provide structured feedback to ensure the products and processes are ready for a large scale rollout.
- In November, the products will be launched to GHIN SRGAs at the annual GHIN User Conference (Nov 10-12). This will provide a robust training environment for SRGAs to prepare for releasing the products to their member clubs.
- In January, a rollout plan will be implemented where SRGAs will begin activating their member clubs, taking into consideration the geographic region (local golf season), the number of clubs in the SRGA, and the pace at which the SRGA is able to smoothly roll out the new products.
How will the existing Golf Genius customers be impacted? Who will continue to buy Golf Genius products directly?
Existing Golf Genius customers that are GHIN clubs will benefit from the USGA pricing structure, and will switch from the Golf Genius product to USGA Tournament Management Club Premium, Powered by Golf Genius Software when their subscriptions renew. Golf Genius customers that are not GHIN clubs will continue to subscribe to the standard Golf Genius product.
Golf Genius will also continue to address consumer markets, providing the Golf Genius product to individuals managing golf leagues and organizing golf trips.
Does Golf Genius provide its products outside of the United States?
Golf Genius is in use all over the world. Some countries outside the U.S. utilize GHIN services, and customers in those countries will be eligible to use USGA Tournament Management Club and USGA Tournament Management Club Premium. Golf Genius will continue to operate in other countries as it does today.
How long will TPP be supported?
To provide ample time to complete the rollout across all GHIN SRGAs and GHIN clubs, TPP will continue to be operational and supported through Dec 31, 2017.
Who will provide product support for USGA Tournament Management Club and USGA Tournament Management Club Premium?
As they do today with TPP, SRGAs will provide Level 1 support (live chat and phone support) to their member clubs. This support is an integral part of the value proposition provided by the SRGAs to member clubs. Golf Genius will provide Level 2 support (escalation and further assistance) to SRGAs to support member clubs and direct support to the USGA and SRGAs related to the use of USGA Tournament Management Club Premium.
With comprehensive online help (knowledge base, tutorials, videos, etc.) and a robust online user community, users can usually quickly find the information and answers they need.
For all other GHIN products, SRGAs will provide Level 1 support for their member clubs and the USGA GHIN support team will provide Level 2 support, as they do today.
Can GHIN SRGAs and clubs use a different tournament management solution?
Under the collaboration agreement, GHIN SRGAs and clubs will be entitled to use the Golf Genius powered products as part of their existing relationship with the USGA. GHIN SRGAs and clubs can choose other tournament management solutions at their own cost – just as is the case today with TPP.